Tuesday, November 11, 2008

New Addition

So yesterday my wife and I saw the first image(s) of our new addition - a baby girl. Her ETA (estimated time of arrival), March 30, 2009; also the date of my beautiful bride's inception.

The imagery via the ultrasound is so intricate - each new image showing an amazing amount of detail to our little baby girl. And although I have been through this process before with our other children, it never gets old or boring. Our little girl's beating heart showing up on the monitor along with all of her movement - nothing quite compares.

When we arrived home from our appointment, we were met at the front door by each one of our other children accompanied by an army of others equally as excited to learn the sex of our soon to be new addition. That said, I was amazed at the myriad of reactions from each person, everything from utter chaotic-excitement to I'm not changing diapers...am I, with the most extreme being my 5-year old son who lost all of his hopes and dreams of teaching his kid brother how to wrestle, play ball and other manly-men things that any good older brother would teach. And although my boy's initial response was less than ideal, he too grew increasing excited at the possibilities of this new addition.

Isn't it amazing how much a new addition can bring about change in one's life. In our case, our new addition will be a big change. Once born, and even now, our family dynamics are changing, the size of our family will change, the number of passengers for our vehicle is going to change, many more diapers will need to be changed. You get the picture. And for me, I thrive on change - I love it and do well with it. But for others, change can be a hard thing, so the idea of a new addition may not always be met with much enthusiasm.

Now, let me introduce you to my introspection. I have been thinking since yesterday how much I enjoy change and new additions in my spiritual life. A new location or book, a new project or idea, it rarely matters what it is, I like new additions. Yet there are those around me who don't necessarily share the same view point as me. They don't necessarily welcome new additions. New additions can difficult.

I am challenged to embrace new additions in my spiritual life. Although not every new addition may be exciting at first, my goal is to focus on the bigger picture - to see beyond myself, my expectations and interests, ultimately setting aside my own agenda for the things of God and what God wants to do in, around and even through me.

And so the story goes...

~Andrew

No comments: